Saturday, May 8, 2010

Greatness in my Mother

When I hear people speak of greatness they often speak of some CEO, actor or athlete. I think of one person, my MOTHER. From troubled beginnings filled with frustration, abuse, and disappointment, she rose above the negativity and chose to break the chains of dependence and ignorance to pursue a different direction, following Christ. Here’s what makes my MOTHER GREAT!

Instilled values - Love for God, she reminds us that there is no other way to life.
Self Sacrifice - Putting her dreams aside, she lived to provide for us without thought of her own comfort and desires.
Discipline - Holding us accountable for our behavior, tempered with Love
Strength - No matter what negative situation came her way, she pushed through it knowing that it was not just about her.
Choice - She could have chosen to live out her own dreams, worked full time, or placed us in child care her choice was to be a MOM.
Caring & Nurturing - Through sickness and health, my mother consistently provided nurturing, not just to her children, but anyone needing her help.
Serving - She has always demonstrated a servant’s heart. She has consistently served God by serving her children.
Generosity - What’s hers is yours. Even if it’s her last.
Inspiration - My mother has not only inspired and encouraged her children in all of their endeavors, but has been a tremendous support to countless others in need.
Friendship - Not just a great mother, but a consistent and loving friend.
Fun - Late nights at Jack N the Box, Creature Features movies and playing board games on her bed.
All driven by Love - There is nothing she would not do for her family. Her life has always demonstrated her unconditional Love.
Leaving a Legacy - Because of all of the above, she has produced four College graduates who overcame the negativity of an apparently hopeless neighborhood to have successful careers.

My mother has had a significant impact on my leadership development. Through her life I have found that if anyone wants to be great they must be willing to serve others.

What is GREATNESS? My Momma! Happy Mother's Day Mom




2 comments:

  1. You have said it all, Tony! Thank you so much for finding the words to articulate greatness in your Mother. Exceptionally well written, and it makes me mindful that I, too, have similar feelings, thoughts, and words not so eloquently expressed to thank a wonderful woman who suffered and chose Motherhood over many more things. We are truly blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whiles reading your insights & inclinations this morning, I am compelled to point out that, unless one discovers & appreciates his/her true identity in life, there's hardly any "springs of living water" overflowing from them to esteem others, especially, those who have impacted our lives. I am also among the chosen few (privileged ones) that have been impacted by Momma Friday! It all began about 13 years ago...yes, it seems I've been with you from the very first day I was born in Africa, Ghana.
    Evidently, I've also been touched by your Momma. And to be honest with you, I share similar treasures of wealth in your captured thoughts and insights of "Momma Friday" (as I call her).
    I too have been connected to the same "unbroken umbilical cord" of love shared deeply from the bowels of Momma's heart everyday.
    I have the best Momma in the world...Momma is my friend and the joy of my heart! Momma, the BEST IS YET TO COME...soon & very soon!
    (To be continue)...
    Pastor John Bankas - Action Christian Center, Union City, CA 94587.

    ReplyDelete