Saturday, February 5, 2011

Do As I Say, Not As I Do

My heart started to race when I looked into my rear view mirror and saw the beautiful, but anxiety-creating lights from police patrol cars.  Yes, I said cars.  My mind automatically went to thinking that maybe I fit the description of a bank robber or maybe it was just a case of mistaken identity.  I quickly found the safest place to park and pulled to a stop.  My heart was pounding like a Polynesian playing drums on my chest.  

One officer approached on the right and the other on the left.  I was praying that this was not going to be an episode of COPS.  But then I remembered I was not wearing a white sleeveless t-shirt.

Then one of the officers came up to my window and asked, “Do you know why I pulled you over?”  I said, “No."  He explained it was because he had observed me on my cell phone while diving.  Whew!  What a relief.  He said he would let me off with a warning this time.

He was right.  I was on my cell phone and I should not have been.  My son called me and instead of pulling over to take the call, I answered it while driving. 

Why am I sharing this story with you?  For two reasons:  1. As a leader we have to set the right example even when no one else is looking; 2. We must not justify breaking the law even when we consider the offense minor.

Yesterday while driving I saw a police officer with the same department on his cell phone while driving.  Hmm… “Do as I say, not as I do.”  I guess that is his philosophy. 

Well, needless to say I will not be driving without the benefit of a blue tooth head set anymore, but it made me think about  how many in leadership do not feel the same rules they enforce on us apply to them.  Remember Tim Geithner, Treasury Secretary who forgot to pay taxes or how about Representative Charles B. Rangel who was recently censured for ethical misconduct?  In both cases the issue was about the payment of taxes.  Do as I say, not as I do.

It has been increasingly clear that many leaders whether Police officers or our government officials believe they can play by a different set of standards while they hold us to the letter of the law.

So, what do we do?

We do what is right, just and fair.  That is leadership!

No matter what our leaders do, we cannot use it as an excuse to commit fraud, lie, cheat or speak on our cell phones as long as there is a law against it.  I have a friend who said something really profound.  She said that because there are enough people who feel like they are over-taxed and over-regulated, FRAUD will be the next growth industry, (Medicare ring a bell?).  Wow!  Think about that for a while.

If our country is going to change for the better it will start with each of us doing the right thing.

Are you doing the right thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment