There is no shortage of examples of poor leadership. Who hasn’t had a boss who invoked feelings of disrespect? A good leader is someone who energizes, inspires, motivates, and unites, while producing positive results. Here are 12 keys to being a leader others want to follow:
· Give more than you expect others to give.
· Set the example.
· Remember it is not about you, but about the team.
· Combine optimism and perseverance.
· Express appreciation and give credit where credit is due.
· Check your ego at the door.
· Show respect for the people around you.
· Be a source of inspiration.
· Stress cooperation, not competition.
· Maintain a sense of humor.
· Be a teacher, coach and mentor.
· Hold yourself and others accountable.
If you do not have a boss, teacher, father, or mother with any of these characteristics, then let it begin with you. You can be the leader you want to see in others.